Tumor – the word itself is so threatening that it leaves us speechless. Not everyone knows the root cause of tumors, however there are certain factors that lead to such a situation. When children are exposed to radiation, then there are high chances that they may develop tumor when they grow up. Tumor is basically a tissue mass that is formed when abnormal cells are accumulated at one place. Usually, cells in the body are replaced with new ones as the body grows. When such a cycle is disrupted, it leads to cancer or tumor. When left untreated, a person may die as well.
Primarily, the tumors are generated from cells that form the nervous system and brain. Some of the common brain tumors experienced by adults are astrocytic and glioma tumor. Besides these two, meningeal tumor is another kind of the disease that is common where a thin tissue layer covers spinal cord and brain. Sometimes there are some signs or symptoms that a body experiences through which one can get diagnoses done and then go for a treatment. On the other hand, some of them don’t experience any signs till the tumor reaches to its advanced stage, and then it becomes difficult or rather impossible to treat it.
Symptoms for a tumor
Let us check out some of the symptoms of tumor that should not be ignored. Have a look at them as follows.
- Clumsiness: If you are feeling clumsiness in your hands and legs, or misbalance, or fumbling while working, then these can be some signs of a problem. In addition to this, experiencing problem in controlling, speaking, and swallowing could also be problems that result from tumor in brain. If you are facing such problems for quite a long time then it is better to consult a doctor.
- Changes in thinking: Tumors can affect the brain in many adverse ways, and bring in changes in behaviour. Sometimes, people having tumor can experience forgetfulness, confusion, unable to remember names, problems in thinking, and suffer dramatic issues as well. At times, the thinking power goes and comes back at certain intervals. If the patient is unable to understand what is happening with him or her then a doctor’s advice is definitely required.
- Numbness: The nerves from brain are connected to other parts of the body. When something wrong happens in brain, it may show with certain symptoms of numbness in some parts of the body. For instance, loss of feel in any part such as hands, legs, or arms can be a minor symptom of brain tumor.
- Vision and headaches: Loss of sight, blurry vision, and double vision are some symptoms of tumor too. If you are seeing any floating shapes or colours then it means there is something wrong. Commonly, such a vision is termed as aura. Severe headaches, usually early in the mornings can also be a symptom of brain tumors. If your pain is not going with time even after medications then you should consult your doctor and get a CT scan done.
- Seizures: These can be the major symptom one can experience if having a tumor. Irrespective of the tumor type, seizures are common signs. These are basically abnormal movements caused in the body due to irritation of tumor present in the brain. Some of the signals are jerks, muscle twitches, loss of body control, flexing, and body convulsions. If you are experiencing such symptoms all of a sudden then do not ignore or avoid it. When left untreated, it may lead to a worse situation.
How can tumors be diagnosed?
If you are facing any of the above symptoms then consult a doctor immediately. The doctor would start with listening to your problems and knowing about your family history. Later he will run some of the tests which can confirm the condition. Some of them include:
- CT scan: This is similar to X ray by which the images of your brain are taken. If there is a tumor or anything wrong in brain, the doctors can view it through the scanned result.
- MRI: A long machine where the patient is lied down and taken inside is a MRI scan. It is also suggested by doctors so that they can see the inside of head in a detailed manner. Sometimes, a dye is injected in hand, that goes into blood vessel which will then show if there are any differences in the brain.
- Neurological test: Your vision, muscle strength, hearing, reflexes, coordination, and reflexes are checked by your doctor. He will also see if there is any swelling near and around the area of your head.
Some other important tests that are run are biopsy, angiogram, and spinal tap. It is suggested that always seek a doctor’s help when in doubt.